Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Adventures of a Southern Daughter-in-Law

Whew..hear that sound?  It's the sound of me sitting down for ten minutes before running to the next task.  Thingss have been veddy veddy busy in the Southern Gal household.  Herr Hubby started his new job, the girls went back to school after Spring Break (and THAT was the sound of my happy heart skipping a beat at being home alone again in the mornings), and my mother-in-law fell while walking in the forest, breaking her arm near the wrist.  After an emergency operation to put a nice titanium plate in there, I picked her up last week and brought her home. 

I actually don't mind helping and, thankfully, all this running around has taken my mind of the fact that there is chocolate in my house and I am not allowed to eat it.  Between cooking my meals, cooking meals for the kids and hubby, and cooking a meal every other day for my in-laws since my mother-in-law is one handed, I'm kind of cooked out.  So, what do I do?  I bake, naturally!  Granted, they were pear bran muffins that went into the freezer upon cooling, but it was a bit of therapy for me to turn my stress into a tangible object my family can enjoy.  Pooch is recovering nicely, in fact, she's giving me a very dirty look from her bed; apparently the clacking of the keys on my keyboard is disrupting her post-walk beauty sleep. 

I have managed to knock off twelve pound using South Beach, to which Greenie replied, "Oh.  I can't tell you've lost any weight at all."  Hmmm...the rather nasty side of me held back from saying, "Yes, dear, and you're stomach is protruding as well."  That, however, could be due to the fact that she's currently got a kid growing in there.  What?  Oh, didn't I tell you?  Oh yes, she's reproducing, again.  This should be fun. 

I do feel great though.  Apparently a new diet and a bit more exercise has helped my skin, my weakened back, and my energy levels.  I now use that extra energy at MIL's house.  She is grateful for all the help but I somehow feel as if I should be wearing an apron, my hear in a severe bun, and curtsy upon entering.  Perhaps a faux British accent just to mix things up a little bit.  I really think it has to do with the whole "southern hospitality" thing I have going on.  I feel like I really, really need to help someone out when they need it. Not out of guilt, but out of genuine curtesy.  The result?  A very tired gal. 

Okay, off to grab a cup of coffee and get on my next bout of DIL duties for the day.  Herr Hubby and I have our eighth wedding anniversary next Monday and will be spending Sunday in a hotel suite with just the two of us.  I have a feeling once we get there and the excitement wears off we will be figuring out what's missing.  Perhaps it will be the mental image of Wild Child swinging around the room like a monkey, or Girly Girl asking a million questions about how things work.  Regardless, this little mini vacation is exactly what this girl needs.  Have a good week, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment