Monday, March 26, 2012

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

I must be going nuts.  Started doing South Beach, which is actually quite lovely. I had a wonderful breakfast, figured out during snack time I hate the taste of raw celery but choked it down anyway, and managed a fabulous lunch of broiled fish on a bed of blanched spinach with a bit of homemade balsamic vinaigerette thrown in.  Why am I crazy?  Here's the thing, the German culture is immersed in bread.  I'm serious, breakfast usually consists of Brötchen (think dense dinner rolls with seeds and nuts baked in, very good) with whatever meats, dairy, jams, etc. you want on them.  Then you would typically have a warm lunch, usually with potatoes as a dish, and then have Abendbrot for dinner.  Abendbrot is bread for dinner with meats, raw veggies, and what not thrown in on the side.  Granted, America is the land of the wraps and sandwhich, but I generally think we aren't as bread dependant as other countries are.  We Americans, and Southerners, usually have three warm meals a day, which is time consuming and can be expensive when using fresh produce.  Here, the convenience of quick cooking is not a concept that has really caught on.  When I moved to Germany, I taught myself how to bake from scratch, learned to cook without using soups as a staple for sauces, and threw myself into the kitchen whole hog.  I would like to think I have managed to merge both cultures into a nice way of cooking. 

That being said, this no carbs for two weeks thing is the pits.  So is the no sugar.  I tried to be sneaky this morning, no sugar or sugar substitute in my coffee, just low-fat milk.  My brain threw the brakes on that pretty quickly.  I could feel my inner child putting her put down and saying, "but I want it and I want it NOW!"  I have had a headache, apparently a sign that your body is recognizing lack of carbs.  Lots of water is going into my system, still requiring me to have a mental picture of where all bathrooms are at all times.  I should be proud of myself, withstanding the urge to stop at the bakery in town this morning and drool over the morning selections.  Instead I had a friggin celery stick that made me gag. Seriously..I gagged. 

I did manage to get on the exercise bike last night and will do that again tonight.  I hope to throw in some yoga (yes I do think of Wii Fit Plus exercises as being yoga!!) in the morning to get my blood flowing.  Wild Child was eating a piece of candy a bit ago when we dropped Girly Girl off at a friend's house and then looked at me, chomping down on her candy, before saying, "This is soooo good.  *sigh*  Too bad you can't have any!" And then she grinned, she grinned.  She's so very evil.  Okay, so she's four, but still, signs of impending doom are there, right?  Off to drink another glass of water and hope that tomorrow will be easier than this one.  Getting to a lower weight is a b****.

No comments:

Post a Comment